Dark Elf Bloodbowl team

June 30, 2009

The next box opened in my figures audit contained a small Dark Elf Bloodbowl team which I painted late last year. I used the models as a colour test for my Dark Elf army which I started earlier this year.

The team has only got half a name at the moment as I was thinking of calling them the “… Shadestars”. Suggestions of where the “Shadestars” might hail from are welcome.

Dark Elf Bloodbowl Team

Dark Elf Bloodbowl Team

Dark Elf Bloodbowl Team - Thrower

Dark Elf Bloodbowl Team - Thrower

I wasn’t at all happy with how the Witch Elves turned out. But doing them was useful all the same, as it prompted me to use a different colour scheme in the army.

Dark Elf Bloodbowl - Witch Elves

Dark Elf Bloodbowl - Witch Elves

Dark Elf Bloodbowl Team - Witch Elf

Dark Elf Bloodbowl Team - Witch Elf


Mordor Orcs – stage 3

June 29, 2009

I managed to find 30 minutes on Friday when it stopped raining for long enough for me to get the Orcs undercoated. Then grabbed a couple of hours between mowing the lawn and making dinner on Sunday to do their bases.

It may seem a little strange to do the bases first, but when I’m speed painting I like to get them out of the way. Doing them first also has the advantage that you can really be a bit fast and loose with the dry brushing safe in the knowledge that you can clean up any mistakes later.

All of my evil War of the Ring models will be based the same, with movement trays to match. The colours I use are:

Black undercoat
Scorched Brown (applied liberally)
Snakebite Leather (drybrush)

I then pick out the larger rocks with a little Graveyard Earth, before giving the whole base a light drybrush of Bleached Bone, placing a little more on the large rocks than the rest of the base.

I then tidy up the edges with Chaos Black, although this photo was taken before that.

Mordor Orcs - stage 3 basing complete

Mordor Orcs - stage 3 basing complete

Total time taken to undercoat and base is approx 150 mins, for a total of 330 so far.


Secrets of the Third Reich – German Zombies

June 28, 2009

The next box opened in my audit didn’t reveal any surprises as it contains 44 German Zombies from the Westwind Games superb Secrets of the third Reich range.

I painted these a little earlier this year. Some are from the Brainwurst! set, whilst others are from one of the German Zombie starter packs.

3 German Zombies - Secrets of the Third Reich

3 German Zombies - Secrets of the Third Reich

I was trying for a very gritty look, which I’m more or less happy with.

More German Zombies - Secrets of the Third Reich

More German Zomies - Secrets of the Third Reich

Below are a couple of “bomb” zombies, my favourite is the one in the middle. There’s just something a little cruel about strapping a bomb to a zomibe.

Bomb Zombies and Pinger - Secrets of the third Reich

Bomb Zombies and Pinger - Secrets of the third Reich


Western Gunslingers (plus floozy)

June 26, 2009

The figures audit continues with a batch of Wild West figures. I can’t recall the manufacturers but I think they are a mixture of Essex, Foundry and Dixons. There are only 27 of them, but that is more than enough for my needs.

Townsfolk (and fallen woman)

Townsfolk (and fallen woman)

The Wild West is a dangerous place as this second group clearly shows.

Some of the walking wounded

Some of the walking wounded

And finally . . .

More desperados

More desperados


Mordor Orcs – stage 2

June 25, 2009

I managed to get all 52 of the Mordor Orcs based during my lunch break. I’ll now leave them for at least 24 hours to allow the glue and sand to dry properly before giving them a Matt Black undercoat.

Total time spent on them so far: approx 180 minutes.

Mordor Orcs - stage 2 based

Mordor Orcs - stage 2 based


Mordor Orcs – stage 1

June 25, 2009

Wednesday night often sees my wife staying late at work which gives me some free time for hobby stuff. Last night was no exception and I spent a couple of hours assembling a batch of Mordor Orcs.

Mordor Orcs stage 1

52 Mordor Orcs: stage 1 - assembly

These models aren’t as nice to assemble as the Uruk-Hai scouts, indeed I feel they just aren’t the same quality of sculpts either. Why there’s only 52 of them is a bit of mystery too as that isn’t a multiple of 24 which is how many come in a box. Some of them did come from the “Battle Games in Middle Earth” magazines so perhaps that’s an explanation. Although it is much more likely that I’ve put some in another box which will probably turn up as I continue my audit.

The next step will be to add sand to the bases, which with a bit of luck I’ll manage in my lunch hour tomorrow.


Uruk-Hai Scouts

June 23, 2009
Uruk-Hai scouts (72)

Uruk-Hai scouts (72)

Last night I managed to varnish the last of my Uruk-Hai scouts. There are 72 of the evil blighters. Quite a quick paint job, heavily washed with GW Badab Black wash.

This brings my pledge progress to:

Bought: 1275
Painted: 416
Sold: 18

Net: -841