August 13, 2009
Apologies for the lack of updates, but although I’ve been beavering away at the painting table my camera has been “borrowed” so I am unable to take any “in progress” shots at the moment.
I do however have a couple of pictures of some of my Dwarves to tide me over.
The one on the left is (I think) the standard bearer from the old metal thunderer unit, whilst the one on the right is a more modern BSB.
Both of these Dwarves would be horrified to learn that I am currently painting some more Dark Elves. I’ve 31 of them (13 Xbow 18 Spears) nearing completion on my painting table, plus a handful of Shades under construction. The extra Xbow’s were needed to pad out my army for the MK Massacre, where I’m hoping to compete. Whilst the Spears are needed for our club game for this years Colours show. There will be more information regarding this to follow over the coming weeks, but our plan is to refight Picketts Charge from the American Civil War, only using Dark Elves vs High Elves . . .
August 11, 2009
Next in my series of Daemonic updates we have the much maligned Flamers of Tzeentch. I have 10 of them, 6 are the newer models, whilst 4 are the old style. I quite like the old ones, but the new ones are an improvement. Regardless, I’d like to find another 2 of the old style ones so I could field 2 units of 6. Not that I’d do that other than in a GT level non-comp event, as they are utterly broken.
That said a single unit of 6 isn’t going to win a game on their own for you and there’s plenty of things which can destroy them with ease.
Flamers - new style (1)
To try and match my Horrors I’ve used two colours of flames.
Flamers - new style (2)
Flamers - new style (3)
The next two pictures show the older style Flamers. They look considerably more bird-like.
Flamers - old style (1)
Flamers - old style (2)
August 5, 2009
GW don’t (at the moment that is) make a Slaanesh Herald model, so you have to be a little creative. The most obvious solution would be to convert a Daemonette, but I didn’t want to do that and instead opted for a minor conversion of Freebooter Miniatures Chaos Sorcerer.
The conversion work is minor, and mostly involved making the summoned creature look more like a Daemonette.
Slaanesh Herald & Daemonette
Freebooter stuff isn’t cheap, but they are very nice models.
For those of you who want to see the original model you can find it listed under CHA 001 Chaoszauberin on their website.
I’ve a few others in my unpainted pile that I’m planning to use as familiars and assassins for my Dark Elves.
August 4, 2009
I’ve still not picked up a paint brush (I’ve been building Dark Elf Xbows and Flesh Hounds for a tournament), but I did find the time to finish varnishing my corpse cart.
This was a fun model to paint. There’s lots of detail which meant it took simply ages to do, but the final model is quite impressive, although my photography skills leave a lot to be desired.
Corpse Cart (1)
I’m less happy with the Necromancer, he’s probably too grey. I suspect he won’t be getting fielded very often, as I believe the Vampire characters are better choices.
Corpse Cart (2)
I’ve counted the Corpse Cart as being US5 (without the book to hand I’m not sure if that’s right), not a huge amount of progress for my pledge, but every little helps.
The current state of play is:
Net result: -778
August 3, 2009
The Pink Horrors of Tzeentch can take a special character unit upgrade “The Changeling”. GW don’t do an actual Changeling model, so I turned to a model from the Hell Dorado range. The model I chose is called babul. It’s skin-shedding perfectly matches how I envisaged the Changeling’s special ability of exchanging stats with an opponent.
As with most of the special characters in the Daemons book – he’s a bit broken, as he can completely neutralise most combat heroes.
Another view of the Changeling
August 2, 2009
Just back from a weeks holiday in the Lake District, so I’ve had no time at all for painting. Rather than let the blog lapse I’ll continue updating with some units from my Daemons army.
Starting out the core troop selections we have the Pink Horrors of Tzeentch.
Or more accurately in my army the multi-coloured Horrors of Tzeentch.
These Horrors were an experiment in using the The Army Painter range of undercoats. My plan was to give them all an undercoat of “flesh” then add the color using the then new GW washes.
Unfortunately I gave all 45 figures a quick undercoat with the flesh spray. All well and good so far, although coverage wasn’t complete, so another coat was called for. This second coat came out lumpy – covering the figures with little lumps which can clearly be seen in the picture below.
Horrors (close up)
This was very disappointing. My annoyance with the product wasn’t lessened by reading an article on their website posted in response to complaints from other people experiencing lumps. You can read it here. Basically it says “Shake the tin”. Fair enough, but I did shake the tin, only I did it for the one minute recommended on the tin. I’ve since tried it again and despite shaking the tin violently for 3 minutes the lumps persist.
I don’t think I’ll be using this undercoat again, although it didn’t do a bad job of the few models that needed only one coat. Witness the picture below. The Horror on the left was sprayed only once, where as the second one was sprayed twice.
Pink Horrors - smooth and bumpy side by side
I’ve tried the best I can to save the models by painting them the traditional way, and I’m not completely unhappy with the “mangy” effect that some of them now have, but using the undercoat slowed the painting process instead of speeding it as I’d hoped.