October 24, 2009
I finally managed to squeeze in a varnishing session last week, so helping with my Pledge progress we have 84 Haradrim Warriors. They are split 50/50 between Bowmen and Spearmen.
It’s a very nice feeling when you finally finish such a large quantity of figures and you can say you’ve turned these . . .
Unpainted Haradrim (1)
Unpainted Haradrim (2)
. . . into these . . .
Haradrim Bowmen (1)
Haradrim Bowmen (2)
Haradrim Spearmen (1)
Haradrim Spearmen (2)
Haradrim Spearmen - side view
Once again a fairly simple paint job that owes a lot to GW Devlan Mud Wash. I’ve used a very limited palette.
Reds: Mechrite Red, Highlighted with Blood Red
Blue: Enchanted Blue / Chaos Black, Highlighted with Enchanted Blue
Purple: Regal Blue / Chaos Black, Highlighted with a 3:1 Warlock Purple / Liche Purple
Gold: Brazen Brass, Highlighted with Shining Gold
Flesh: Dwarf Flesh, Highlighted with Elf Flesh
Cloth: VMC 788 Khaki
Wood: Darf Flesh, Highlighted with Vermin Brown
Metal: Boltgun Metal
All base colours applied over a black undercoat, followed by a very liberal coating of Devlan Mud Wash. Then the highlights applied. Flesh and Gold then given a light wash of 50/50 Water/Peat Brown Ink. Simple.
Which makes my score for the year:
October 15, 2009
Still no camera, but here’s a picture of a Wyvern I completed a few months ago. The Orc rider is currently waiting to be varnished, along with quite a lot of other stuff.
I’d hoped to have a varnishing session last weekend, but for various reasons that didn’t happen. I did make quite a bit of progress with the brush though, and have finished another 35 Secrets of the Third Reich figures. 24 Soviet Zombies, including 4 Bomb Zombies, plus 11 assorted ‘living’ Soviets. I wasn’t quite so impressed with the Soviet Zombies compared to the German ones, but the ‘living’ models were an absolute pleasure to do. Pictures will be forthcoming just as soon as the camera is available – promise.
The lack of a varnishing session has meant my “Pledge” total has continued to progress in the wrong direction. This time the culprit was a large batch of Khador figures for the superb Warmachine game from Privateer Press. My plan is to try out a new (to me at least) method of painting them. More to follow . . .
October 8, 2009
Still no progress on the camera front, so this time I’ll have to settle for a couple of “action” shots of my East Front Germans (MidWar). Apologies for the quality, but they were taken “in game” and the lighting wasn’t the best.
First up we have a PzIVF1 – long barreled
Next we have the PzIVF2. Very useful for digging out infantry. You can just make out the PzIVF1 in the background.
I don’t really play Flames of War any more, which is a shame because I did really enjoy the game when I first started playing. The Late War stuff leaves me a little cold though, as it tends to be a little dull to play.
I’ve still quite a bit of unpainted Flames figures, so perhaps I should try and rekindle my interest, although more things to paint is the last thing I need at the moment.
The varnishing backlog continues to build up with 42 Haradrim Bowmen joining the queue. I’m going to try and get them all done at once, hopefully at the weekend.
Once they are all done it will be a huge plus towards my “Pledge” progress – not that I have any realistic expectation of succeeding this year after making more purchases at Derby.
Never one to turn down a bargain I picked up:
24 Wargods of Aegyptus Spartans (I must have enough for the army now)
A Circle Orboros starter box
6 Satyrix Raiders
2 Fell Bats
Which makes my score for the year:
Next up on the painting table will be my Secrets of the Third Reich Soviets.